Prayer to Saint Philip
O Glorious Saint Philip, at the Last Supper you said to Jesus, "Lord, show us the Father and it will be enough for us." Help us to make this our prayer also and to seek God in all things. Obtain for us the grace to know the Father and Jesus Christ whom he has sent - for in this does eternal life consist.
June 19, 1957, Father Joseph L. Teletchea was appointed pastor of a new
parish in the area of Camp Springs, Maryland. On June 28, 1957, St.
Philip the Apostle Parish was officially established, drawing an
estimated 600 families from four existing parishes.
For nearly two years, Sunday Masses were offered at a nearby school.
Daily Mass, baptisms, religious instruction, and parish meetings were
held at the rectory which was located in the neighborhood while
negotiations were underway for the purchase of 9.98 acres nearby. In
August 1958, ground was broken for the new church; its doors were
opened for the Easter Vigil on March 28, 1959. In 1960, St. Philip the
Apostle School was founded; classes were held at La Reine High School.
Construction began in the spring of 1962, and the school opened in
September of that year.
The parish flourished through the 1960s and 1970s to a
population in excess of 1300 families. The 1980s saw a decline the
beginning of the demographic changes to the current 500 families.
The dynamics which accompanied the establishment and growth of the
parish still remain today. Though smaller, the parish is an active,
vibrant faith community which ministers to Catholics as well as
reaching out to the community in general. Its proximity to a new Metro
station promises to maintain the vibrancy and promote growth as well.
Philip the Apostle Catholic Parish is located in Camp Springs,
Maryland, within the Archdiocese of Washington. As a living part of the
Universal Church founded by Jesus Christ, our Parish has the
responsibility to spread the Kingdom of Christ for the glory of God the
Father and to help mankind share in Christ's saving redemption. The
fulfillment of this responsibility is the mission of the people of St.
Philip's Parish to worship together; proclaim and hold fast to the
sacred Scriptures; and use their lives to bear witness to Christ.
Strengthened by prayer, the sacramental life, and the fellowship of the
community, parishioners must reach out to others who have special or
particular needs. We do this by:
1. Proclaiming the Kingdom of Christ to the community. We accomplish
this by strengthening ourselves through reading and studying
Scriptures. The light and strength of the Gospels will come to us and,
through us, extend into the community of others.
2. Celebrating the Eucharistic Sacrifice. This is the primary
source of the true Christian spirit. Our liturgical services and
sacramental life must encourage a sense of community within the Parish.
In our worship we pray for all mankind, including those outside the
3. Helping others to find salvation in, with, and through Jesus Christ.
We use our life in the Parish to bear witness to the good news and to
be leaven to spread the love and teaching of Christ throughout the
world. Each and everyone of us should develop and use the special gifts
we have received from the Holy Spirit.
Our Way of Life
We are a giving parish. We have some very
generous people who sacrifice their time, talent, and/or treasure to benefit the parish and themselves. They realize that our Lord will not be outdone in generosity.
acceptance of responsible stewardship as a way of life is more than
just a practical issue of survival for the many activities of our
parish. It is also an issue of spiritual growth for those who
recognize God's gift in their lives and seek to express their gratitude
in action. At St. Philip the Apostle Church, we attempt to provide
structures for all our members to make a response to the Lord by
sharing generously their gifts of time, talent, and treasure.